What are Some Good Cars for Teens?
Whether you are ready for it or not, at some point your teen will be a licensed driver, and it pays to research good cars for teens as that time gets closer. We know that as a parent you want to do everything you can to protect your you child when they are behind the wheel. To help you make the best choice for your teen, we are sharing our top tips on choosing a safe car, as well as a list of affordable and highly rated vehicles to choose from.
Safety Features to Look For in Good Cars for Teens
Shopping for safe cars for teenage drivers can feel daunting, but we have a checklist of things to look for that should make the process easier:
- Avoid High Horsepower: Teens can often be tempted to push the limits — avoiding a vehicle with high horsepower can help keep that in check.
- Look for Traction and Stability Control: These features improve performance on slippery roads and curves, so it is a top feature recommendation for new drivers.
- Larger Vehicles: When it comes to new drivers, bigger can be better. Larger and heavier vehicles fare better in crashes and often offer more passenger protection.
- High Safety Ratings: While you may see their safety ratings when browsing for new vehicles, the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) is also a reliable resource when looking for safe cars for teenage drivers.
IIHS Safe Cars for Teens
The IIHS publishes a list of affordable, pre-owned models that can make an excellent choice for a budget-conscious and safe first car. You can find lists for vehicles under $20,000 as well as under $10,000. With a reputation for both reliability and safety, you will find many Honda vehicles on the list! Here’s a look at which Honda models the IIHS has spotlighted.
IIHS Best Used Car Choices for Teens Under $20,000*
- Honda Accord Sedan (2013 and later)
- Honda Accord Coupe (2013 and later)
- Honda CR-V (2015 and later)
- Honda Odyssey (2011 and later)
IIHS Good Used Car Choices for Teens Under $10,000*
- Honda Accord Sedan (2012)
- Honda Element (2007-2011)
- Honda CR-V (2012 and later)
- Honda Odyssey (2011-2013)
Find a Safe Car for Your Teen at Valley Honda
When looking for a reliable vehicle for a young driver, the associates at Valley Honda are here to help. We offer a large range of used vehicles under $10k to choose from. We also suggest exploring Certified Pre-Owned options, which have passed a thorough inspection and come with an added warranty. Contact us to learn more about your options!